Jazz is beautiful.

 It is one of the only original American art forms that is built on and executed with soulful creativity and improvisation at the foundation. There is a form or a general direction for each song, but each player has freedom within that structure to play with. Improvisation is the wind that breaths life into the songs of Jazz.

There is something especially magical about being on stage with my band playing our jazz songs and really listening to the sounds that are being made by each other. We play while listening in the same instant, swirling together like a choreographed dance of the soul. Well, it might not be that pretty most of the time, in fact sometimes its more like watching a dust storm at the mercy of the wind, but the idea is the same.

I lose myself in the moment. I crave the times when I, as a human playing an instrument, melt into the vehicle of the song and become an anonymous part of the whole. It's quite cathartic and energizing. The essence of my being overrides my consciousness and starts communicating to my band mates and the listeners about how I really feel. My puffed up ego is humbled. My critical parent is silenced. And the scared little boy finds the confidence to come out from under the bed and play.

I hope that when we play, you the listener can hear and feel what we are really saying. We come prepared to get there, but sometimes the daily grind makes it difficult to find our way. Your interest and positive energy feeds our ability to dig in and get to that place where we find our magic. For that I am grateful.

.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We opened for Galactic @ the Ritz Ybor 1/20/11 8pm